Wednesday, August 29, 2012
Freda's Top 7 Travel Tips
Freda’s Top 7 Travel Tips
1. Book Early : Early booking offers you the best bang for your travel bucks. Also you might get better up-grades on rooms and dining and transfer options if they are available,
2. Book with a Travel Agent: Its great to have a travel agent in your corner. A travel agent works with the supplier, they have inside knowledge of your destinations, they will guide you through the travel process of booking, flights, accommodations, at the best price for your travel budget. They will have the best knowledge of your destinations, flights, packages, and your all your travel needs. The internet or other travel booking site might safe you a few bucks, but who are you going to call when you lost your passport or miss your flight? Your travel agent is there for you 24 /7. I highly recommend my friend Geri who has over 30 years experience as a travel agent and operates “ The Nola Caribe Connection” http://www.nolacaribeconnection.com
3. Book packages: I find that vacation packages offer you the best bang for your travel bucks, Most packages include accommodations, meals, transfers, and sometimes local excursions and tours. With rates staring from low $799 PP for a 4 day 3 night vacation.
4. Keep it Simple: When packing for travel my motto is keep it simple, Wear flip flops for your flight it’s easy to take off to go through security and comfortable to wear ( Pack a pair of socks in your carry on just in case it gets cold). I love black or navy yoga pants or other black knit slacks they are easy, wrinkle free and lightweight plus they go with almost anything and you can dress them up or down. Don’t forget to pack plain T-shirts, If you need a blazer wear it on your flight along with your jeans if you must have one. Leave the jewelry at home. (You could buy some locally made jewelry at you destination to spice up your outfits and on your return give them away as gifts) A back pack is a travel must, great for safety, with lots of space and compartments, they are easy to carry, and are great as a carry on.
5. Buy Travel Insurance: Shit Happens!! Your vacation which took you months to plan and a large amount of your money, can be ruin if the unthinkable happens, losing your baggage, missing your flight, getting sick while traveling, or some other natural disaster beyond your control can cause you to loose all the money you spent to book the trip that you might have spent a lifetime to take. Including your reservations and tickets. My advise to you is purchase travel insurance when you book your vacation. Speak to your travel agent about this important protection when you start planning your trip.
6 Carry A extra Copy of your passport: Always carry a copy of your passport and keep it in a safe place away from your other items. ( Back pocket, inside the under sole of your shoes in your camera bag,) You just never know when you might loose your bag or the unthinkable happens. Carry extra copies of your credit card leave one at home with a trusted friend or family member also copies of your passport.
7 . Travel with Groups: One of the best way to travel is to travel with a group, Family members, friends, co-workers make great groups. You will save a lot on your travel cost since you will be sharing the cost with others in your group including meals, excursions, etc. It is also safe if it's the first time you are traveling or visiting that destination especially if there is a language barrier.
One of my favorite quotes by Mark Twain.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things
that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail
away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails
Caribbean Culinary Tours & Vacations